In Victoria, especially Melbourne’s weather is often unpredictable and unexpected. Don’t be surprised if you see someone wearing jackets and carrying umbrella during summer. No one will know how the actual weather turns out, it might be cloudy in the morning, sunny in the afternoon and heavy downpour at night.
As most Victorians will do, it is still highly advisable to check the weather forecast from Weatherzone or Bureau of Meteorology as a reference to get a weather summary for the whole week or only for that particular day,
BUT PLEASE, NEVER TRUST THE WEATHER FORECAST COMPLETELY!
The ONE AND ONLY useful tip for Victorians, especially NEWCOMERS would be:
To be PREPARED all the time!
- A FASHIONABLE hoodie and GOOD QUALITY umbrella are the potential investments that everyone
should make which brings you guaranteed good returns!
- Always put hoodies or jackets inside your bag, they are your best companions to defend against the crazy weather
- Always bring umbrella inside your bag to protect you from the rain, no one would like to have themselves soaked in the rain and fall sick!
- During autumn or winter, remember to wear/bring scarves all the time, to give you ultimate comfort
- Do your SUN PROTECTION! Australia has one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world. Never
ignore UV rays in Melbourne, the UV index in Australia is forecasted to reach 3 this year. Therefore, bring shades to the beach, wear protective clothing, hats, caps, sunglasses and apply sunscreen on your skin.
Last but not least, there is one interesting thought by MelbourneGems.com that I would like to share with you, it suggests that Melbourne’s kind of crazy weather does provides some ADVANTAGES,
-You will always see and ENJOY sunshine on a winter day or rainy day
-It never gets hot too long during summer, and it is sometimes accompanying with chilly wind
I do agree with these ideas! What about you?
Being a typical Victorian or more specifically Melbournian, it’s always a mix of LOVE AND HATE on the weather.
“Hey, if you don’t like the weather, wait ten minutes!” This is always a secret joke among locals. But FRET NOT! Because of the weather, it makes our second home, Victoria becomes UNIQUE in some way and stands out among the rest of the world!
Wee Yee Xin
Vice Secretary of MASCA Victoria 2014/2015.